Thursday, February 18, 2010

Blaise Aguera y Arcas (Augmented-reality Maps T.E.D. 2010)

I think that the augmented-reality maps are ridiculously amazing. Forget Google maps, and Google Earth. At one point, I, personally, thought that Google Earth was an awesome idea, but the whole "augmented-reality" thing totally blew that away for me.

The fact that you can look at it as a regular map is, well, pretty basic, but the zooming in and having an angled view like the Sims City games is pretty neat. Google Earth? Last I had seen it was an omniscient view, which is alright but doesn't give much to determine scaling. You can see a place in daylight, and see how it will be in the twilight. The Augmented-reality maps really let you know a place before you even get there.

In my opinion, the Augmented-reality maps are the future of all maps. If not, then it should be because they are amazing. Who doesn't want a map that can, and will, interact with the person and the surroundings? To be able to see different places, day and night, to see exactly what you will experience before you go. There is no other word for these maps (that I can think of) except "amazing."

No comments:

Post a Comment